PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to bin the Red Arrows
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2010, 14:25
oldgrubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I want the Reds to go? No.
Do I think they should go? Yes.
If the Reds actually filled a role other than display flying you could at least argue for their existence. The fact is that I have heard all you obviously knowledgeable chaps, going on about “cutting your cloth”, and taking austerity measures etc, as justification for the emasculation of the RN and it’s essential (that should get a bite) fixed wing capability and the RAF with it’s Nimrod etc.
The dripping about the reduction of RAF fixed wing fast jet squadrons on this forum makes me laugh when you read (on the same forum) that we should keep the Reds “because” (insert excuse here).
Over the years the military have been able to display their aircraft and men for the large part without resorting to unique display squadrons or units.
I refer to Vixen displays by “Fred’s five”, “Simon’s Sircus”; later the helicopter displays by the “Sharks”, the “Whales” and the army Lynx more recently. Excellent singleton displays of jets and helicopters have come and gone and as memory serves, they were all pretty good and all from “active” squadrons. (yes I know I’ve missed many other great display teams out, start a thread if it worries you).
Yes the Reds are great, but so was the Field Gun Run and the Field Gun was cut because the leaning of manpower meant that a purpose manned display unit was no longer feasible, (we just couldn’t spare the manpower). The Royal Yacht went years ago and you could argue that as a national icon and “ambassador” she was better known than the Reds (I’ll bite orgASMic). If these are the austere years then to use some else’s phrase; “cut your cloth to suit”.

Cheers all