PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight tests of a Mono Tiltrotor (MTR)
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2010, 11:46
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for slow response, Doug - put this down to my being off with flu...

Thanks for providing answers that demonstrate that a lot of thought has gone into this concept. Agreed about the lack of need of heavy hydraulics for the hinged wing - clever in concept by way of minimising complexity for a given advantage. Don't underestimate the potential requirement for complex hydraulic accumulators to power rotor mast tilt actuators though: I am of course thinking about the need to recover from engine failure during transition, which would require a quick and absolutely failsafe reaction.

Out of interest, what sort of assumptions are you making about structural loads: g loads, gust loads, pitch and roll rates etc? This interests me because you will need to consider both helicopter mode and fixed wing load - apart from the difference in forward speed i assume the loading performance envelope will look similar (at least during transition). Are there any particular control aspects that will need significant deviation from the stick and lever control? Does the lever simply become a prop pitch control in forward flight? Also are you seeking to minimise any flapback forces on the rotor during operation above transition?

As you gather from the X2 thread, i am fascinated with pioneering aviation projects. It goes without saying that i wish you well with your endeavours.

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 16th Dec 2010 at 10:42. Reason: Typo.