PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air and EZ Jet Looking!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2002, 07:31
Broken Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracking debate and occasionally deep into the light buffet stage so I'm just going to push the nose forward a little and introduce another reason why I personally might have to pay for my own Type Rating (against all instincts I have to say) .....

Applied to Emirates online and recieved a corrupt email but it said "applicant does not meet requirements for FO". Emirates minimum requirements at the moment are;

A minimum of 2500 hours total flying time
A minimum of 1000 hours multi-crew, multi-engine jet aircraft experience
ICAO ATPL
Applicants must be 48 years or younger
Experience commensurate with age.

At the moment I don't have an ICAO ATPL but a frozen JAA-FCL ATPL (JAA-FCL CPL/IR + ATPL exams). However on the application form you have to state your licence number so I entered my CPL/IR one > = Rejected.

The problem is that under the old CAA licence I would now have a CAA ATPL because there was an hours and exam requirement. Now under JAA-FCL its hours - exams and a multi-pilot rating (ATPL skills test). I surpass the hours requirements and I have the exams but the catch 22 (unless I pay for a Type Rating) is that I can't get an ATPL until I get a job but I can't apply for some jobs unless I have an ATPL!

I am trying to get a friend on the inside to help with my predicament but the last resort will be to pay for a type rating on the cheapest multi-pilot aircraft that I can find; or wait until the market picks up and eat up my savings in the meantime. What would you do?