PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your most rubbish det so far?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2010, 23:16
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty much any of my Basrah dets.

Awful, God forsaken dump with no redeeming features, with a Div HQ full of arrogant but ignorant army types (note, not all are like that, just the ones we seemed to get there), who thought that shouting a bit louder was the answer to everything.

And a SWO who had so little to do that he would mince up and down the main drag pulling people up for the colour of their T-shirts. Pre-det paperwork from BAS J1 provided direction on dress regs, but the SWO decided on his own interpretation and that white t-shirts were not allowed despite the written dress regs stating differently. Told him if he was so concerned he could go to stores himself, get me 7 brown T-shirts and bring them to my office by COP that day or I would continue to wear what I had and get on with ops. Never heard any more.

Add to numerous jobsworths and idiots the heat, crap accommodation, lack of air con for weeks on end some times and locals who were so pleased to see us they kept trying to kill us at every available opportunity. Not my happiest times in the military.

Contrast that with Bastion in 06 - admin and bull**** went out of the window and we got on with the job we had been sent to do. A det that turned boys to men and put hairs on your chest, but how an op tour should be.