PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dramatic lake rescue footage released
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2010, 22:48
Vie sans frontieres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Police, Ambulance and Fire & Rescue Service investigations that follow this should be interesting. I hope the guys involved aren't crucified but I fear they might be. I imagine in the backs of their minds at the time were the media outcries that follow members of these services applying Health and Safety rules to the letter and not climbing down holes to rescue people or jumping in lakes to rescue drowning children.

Nonetheless, I have to pinch myself to remind myself that the footage I'm watching is from the UK in the 21st Century. It's a reminder to those that need it that SAR is a serious business and can really bite you on the @rse. Many, many people on these PPages have tried to suggest over the years that SAR can be a secondary, additional role to be attempted if and when required. I hope this video provides a reality check. explorer99's comment about excessive task focus is spot on. How low was that helicopter?

PhamousPhotographer - do remember that the Aldergrove Wessex was on RS60 so once the call had come in, it would have probably been a bit longer than 20 minutes before they were on scene. Unfortunately NI has a bit of a raw deal when you look at how far it is from the nearest UK-based SAR aircraft. Prestwick or Valley would take a while to get there but there are many other parts of the UK where the SAR crew are a fair distance away as well.