PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to get my PPL, but not for a career... (Kent UK)
Old 14th Dec 2010, 21:33
Kolossi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'd put in another vote for Headcorn depending on where you are in Kent, but I would as I'm doing my ppl there.

Two things to pick up on based on your original post and the comments so far:

1) The idea of trying different types is a great one of course, but if you haven't done it before you may be able to get a much cheaper "taster" flight by hanging around a suitable club and asking to go up with a qualified pilot - many are happy to have company while they plug in the hours to keep their licence current and at best you'd pay half the fuel, or maybe get it free. Of course that might take a bit longer finding the right pilot though rather than just turning up with an open cheque book ...

which brings me to ...

2) You said you needed to spend the money quick, and whilst I'm sure if you went down the route of picking one type of aircraft the school would be more than happy to take all your money to pay for lessons up front, I think you will find the recommendation of most of those on here would be to definitely NOT do that (in case the school folds taking your money with it). It all depends WHY you need to spend the money quickly. But I won't ask

Good luck with whatever you choose, and it would be great to hear back what you decide or if you've got any follow up questions.

Happy Flying