PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 14th Dec 2010, 16:36
act700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Up,

YES!

Also, I propose airlines quit advertising for pilot positions, rather for "conductor" positions!

Your question is not easily answered, Top Up......

Everybody "wants" experience. Nobody, however, wants to "give" it to you. So, what to do?
Is someone, who started as a cadet, or as a 200 hour wonder not experienced after 5000, or 10000 hours in an RJ or 73, or bus?
I tend to think so, to a certain extent. Meaning, surely (that's right-I just called you shirley!), he/she has after a while seen crappy weather, equipment failures, etc.

On the other hand, and this is my strong belief, that person is lacking basic airmanship, ie. handling.

You can see this in the sims, and what newbees do, and how they react to certain situations/tasks. Right away you can see who's learned to fly, and who's just a system operator!

I have to agree with what L337 says about GA's....that's how you learn to fly....and the ones that didn't learn, well, they're no more!

In the end, I can say with a sense of certainty, that airmanship is dying, and fast.
I'm just glad that I had the chance to learn to fly-real flying, single pilot freight. And that sort of flying is becoming less and less, too. Partly because of market forces, partly because of improvements in technology.

Another great way of "learning to fly", is doing a stint as a (basic) flight instructor. There's no better lesson than someone else trying to see how close they can bring you to death, lol.