PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving helicopter with engine/rotors running - merged threads
Old 14th Dec 2010, 15:02
fostaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the Book

We as pilots must ALWAYS weigh the risks of our behavior. I have operated helicopter in the USA for about 34 years and know other countries have regulations that differ from ours. However, is it more dangerous to allow untrained personnel to approach a running (Bell, what I operate) helicopter than to have the pilot meet them at the rotor tip, brief them, and board them? The FAA has, years ago, published a document on just this subject matter, along with other subjects. Read AC 91-32B, specifically paragraph 7. sub C.. To those that ask about runaway turbines, hydraulic hardovers, ect. I say: "If I thought that way, I would never leave my bedroom." Sure they all can happen, so we may also die on the way to work, but a calculated risk management program will always go the path of least risk. For me, it is to have positive control of the passengers above the risk of a VERY RARE mechanical malfunction. Shuttiing down to latch a door in a remote area is also a greater risk than USING PROPER PROCEDURES of securing the A/C at idle, frictioning the controls, and closing the door! (PS, if you had disembarked the pax in the first place, the door would NOT have been unlatched?) These points don't take into account the turbine cycles, risk of hot start, battery relay failure, starter/gen failure. Of course these malfunctions would only be considered if you are the type person always looking for the worst case scenario. Other types of helicopters may not be as equipped to allow this operation, and the environment may also dictate not leaving the controls. In the end, it is up to you, the PIC to make the decision for that specific situation, constantly be a risk evaluator, and NEVER let your guard down!