PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 14th Dec 2010, 14:38
DADDY-OH!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jabiman

You're writing B*llocks! Why should anybody be 'tainted' by GA??

I came through the GA route & I learnt a hell of a lot by scaring myself f*rtless in my early hours. Experience like how NOT to fly past a CB. Experience like what EXACTLY is the effect of landing distance required when immediately landing after a heavy rain shower. Experience like how clear,exact & precise R/T dicipline has to be when flying into a busy, major international gateway & into a quiet non-English speaking backwater airfield. It was the closest that Aviation has to serving an apprenticeship - Single Crew Multi Engine IFR is very demanding work & when you share your space moving on to 2 Crew Ops you have a solid, hard earned bed rock of experience to draw upon. The type of experience YOU CAN'T get off a chalk board or computer screen.

I'm a fairly experienced pilot but you can tell which F/O's are from the Self Improver route & which aren't. The Self Improver's WANT to be God's Gift to Aviation whereas the ones from approved schools THINK they are!! 3 or 4 times I've had to subtly 'override' or 'correct' a poor decision made by a colleague concerning weather avoidance, autobrake settings, actual ATC routings & levels vis a vis planned & blindly followed 'dreams'. Every time its the 200hr self worshipping 'Genius' that tut's at my suggestions & insights.

It WILL end in an accident if allowed to continue unchecked.