PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 14th Dec 2010, 14:05
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's not what you questioned, at all. You proposed allowing passengers to pick and choose what flight they get on based on a close examination of the pilot experience by hours. I replied directly to you in that thread, and asked you a few questions that I know you can't answer.

You propose to do things as a passenger that expert check airmen can't even do in the hiring process. Poster after poster showed the folly in your comments, which were ridiculous at best, and merited the response you received.

Insofar as pilot experience and airmanship goes, I've never heard anyone asked what their "parents thought" about them being a pilot. Perhaps for kids entering a cadet program. I've never heard that asked of a serious pilot candidate. Let's get real, here.

During interviews, prompts such as "Tell me about a time in your career when you handled an in-flight emergency," or "How do you handle a conflict in the cockpit, and give me an example," are common. Questions such as "Does your mommy and daddy know you're here right now?" are not.

Most definitely we have moved into an age with increased automation, increased information for situational awareness, increased navigation capability and accuracy, and much more realistic training are available. The shortfall of that is without question an element of erosion in raw pilot flying skills, and very possibly airmanship. The proposals you made in the locked thread, however, were ridiculous, and you received answers accordingly.