PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 14th Dec 2010, 13:16
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?

Pasted here instead of the the CRM topic area or QF32 Engine Failure thread as it is the question I'm asking:

"Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?"

REFER: EXCLUSIVE - Qantas QF32 flight from the cockpit | Aerospace Insight | The Royal Aeronautical Society

Airlines seem to seek the lowest common denominator do get by and pay the lowest possible salaries, and pilots are lining in up in endless queues to accept them. Attributes like "experience" and "credentials" are viewed more as [cost] liabilities than valued assets to airlines. Look at CX but for one example. An airline regarded once as a true great airline racing to cut salaries, T & C's for profiteering. Pilots with the experience are not welcomed: shunned for cadet entry scheme where previous T & C's are completely removed.

Interview questions used to be along the lines of "How did you accrue your hours? What lessons did you learn? Tell me about Vmca / Vmcg (piston vs twin jet).... How does the IRS work (then strap down gyros, etc...) Nowadays they include: "What do your parents think of you becoming a pilot?" (refer CX Wannabes forum).

LCC chasing the dreams for school kids for RHS positions on A320's, RJ's, 737's, etc.... so when the proverbial hits the fan and the crew needs to draw on all expertise, but where is it? At best cut in half (worst case). I do not blame the kids, they know no better other than what they are NOT taught.

It scares me that a pilot with 1500 hrs TT is deemed "experienced".

The more I read about Sulley & Skiles on the Hudson, 757 engine failure (YouTube - 757 airplane bird strike (engine failure)), and this QF near disaster (and it was) the more I fear for the future.

Airmanship and CRM dying? Just look at the standards of RT nowadays.

Last edited by TopTup; 12th Jan 2011 at 03:17.