PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cocpit design requirements
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 19:45
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem:

A digital flight manual is all but useless unless it has a good index. If the index and/or table of contents is useless you end up getting the paper manuals out of their stowage.

I now fly an aircraft without the heading, altitude or speed shown on the guidance panel. They are only shown on the FMA in the PFD. To select a heading you have to look for the correct knob (one of ten) and then turn it whilst you are looking at the FMA. And it's a pain in the bum. Most aircraft have the heading, altitude and speed selection shown on the guidance panel. But not the Embraers! Bloody Honeywell!

Additionally, when you select HDG, Speed or ALT (ie. press the button to engage the mode) the selection is ONLY visible within the FMA windows and not on the guidance panel. Again. a pain in the arse.

Altitude arming: I think you have it. If you dial in a different altitude, you want it armed, not ignored. So bloody arm it! In a Fokker 50 you have to arm (select ASEL) every altitude. A pointless pain with serious implications if you forget. On the Fokker 70/100 you dial in the next altitude and as soon as you select a new vertical mode, the next altitude will be captured on reaching. Neat!

When I move the V/S I want the plane to go up or down. Why should I have to press another yet another button to say I want to use V/S when I have already moved the wheel? And yes, live in all FD modes.

You may get the impression that I'm a fan of Fokker 70/100's and you'd be right. I also really dislike the battle that I have to do with the crap installed in the Embraer 190. If Honeywell peddle these poor sods more of the same crap they have sold in the past, God help those who fly in them and under them if they ever become single pilot.

Oh and could I have a cloud light as well please. Something that would illuminate a cloud well before I get to it at night. Not quite a laser but a well focussed light that would reflect off a cloud at say 1/2 mile?

PM