PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA
Thread: MDA
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 17:16
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that the idea behind CD NPA is to try and make the execution of these as similar as possible to an ILS.
The flaw is that it pretends a little too much that the non-precision approach is an ILS , i.e. a precision approach.

If the onboard equipment (e.g. BaroVNAV) allows you to fly to a point in space with high vertical and horizontal precision, then you might as well treat it like a precision approach. And because you dip (because you're treating it like a DH) below the MDH/OCH at that precise point, where there are no obstacles, there's little risk of hitting something even if you're in still cloud.

But if you're using raw data, selecting a rate of descent with mile-spaced DME crosschecks or worse, there's a significant variability in the distance from the runway at which you hit the MDH/OCH, and your dip of 50 ft eats directly into the margin above obstacles on the approach. I would love to see the risk assessment that demonstrates that dipping 50 ft below the OCH in these circumstances is within tolerable risk.

The progression towards CDFA for high-inertia, multicrew commercial air transport with appropriate avionics is clearly a step forward in safety. But the one-size-fits-all attitude of EU-OPS is not.