PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your most rubbish det so far?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 16:53
exmover_and_happy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detached to 16 MU, RAF Stafford mid 1977 to the DAC (Density Activity Complex), a huge horrible computerized warehouse full of small spare parts for just about everything. Arrived there on a Saturday evening to find nothing, literally nothing, on the station open except for the duty NCO who directed me to a TV room in one of the Airmens blocks where some w*nker was selling bottles of warm beer from a crate at the side of his armchair and 'loaning' blankets to sleep under.

I spent two miserable weeks there pulling bins out of racks and confirming the contents matched a computer printout. After one day of this torture we discovered it was funnier to confirm the right parts were in the right place and then move the bins to another location. It probably took years for the RAF supply system to recover from sending us there to help set up this wonderful place. The DAC was run by a bunch of miserable civvies who had been there forever and hated the influx of technology and the airmen sent there to "help" them.

Stafford itself was a dump and as I recall the whole town shut down sometime around 8 every night. Never seen so many empty pubs in my life. Thanks for bringing up the repressed memory of this nightmare.