PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 foot-pounds on the yoke...lots? not so much?
Old 13th Dec 2010, 15:42
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stepwilk

Going back to your original question it is surprising what forces one can apply to a yoke (especially in the push sense).

100 lbs of push is no big deal if you can lock your arms straight.

A long time ago I was asked to measure the yoke forces on a totally manually controlled CN-235 in the cruise (215 kt) following a runaway electric trim.

I chose to do the nose up case first because that does not rely on your finger strength to pull on the wheel. We had an instrumented yoke and when the force got to 100lb I quit and returned to the hangar to do some checks of the seat locking and rail system. (I was not keen on pushing hard only to have the seat shoot back due to the locking or rail system not coping - as that seemed to me a certain way to have the wings off).

In the hangar I was able to push 300 lb with both arms straight (I am a weedy bloke) and was satisfied that before taxi one could do a visual check that the seat locking pin was properly engaged.

Thus reassured I did the full nose up case which turned out at 235 lb of push.

Since the trim range available in the cruise was equal I declined to do the nose down case beyond a 50 lb pull (roughly 1/4 trim) as I reckoned it would be all too easy to have the yoke slip out of your fingers at higher pull forces. Wings are great for flying but they do need to stay attached.