PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident autothrust system and autoland
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 11:52
Hobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 2 engine failures in my career, both on T3's. Both were on rotation and both when I happened to be handling pilot. On neither occasion was there any problem with climb rate, although one was GLA-LHR and the second LHR-GLA, so not particularly heavy. The controls felt a bit wishy washy compared to normal, but no problem.

The first was #2 in YZ in June '76, my logbook tells me. As I rotated there was a loud muffled bang and I felt the control column being pushed forward, immediately followed by it being pulled back, then returning to the trimmed position. I had to resist the forces quite strongly to keep the column where I wanted it to maintain attitude during the rotation.

The aircraft had had a history of yellow hydraulics problems on initial climb, so P1&P3 looked up to the hyd levers for the stuck valve light, as I said check the hydraulics as I felt the forces through the column. Nothing there, no yaw of course, I glanced at the engine instruments and saw the TGT of #2 off the clock. No fire, shut down and return, right hand visual circuit to 06.

The second in VF in Jan '80

(With PMc). #1 blew up on rotation, with an incredibly long and loud graunching sound - it sounded like, and felt through the controls, and I thought, the U/C had collapsed as I rotated. It felt to me like we were being 'held' on the ground by the collapsed oleos dragging along the runway, and I remember being slightly surprised to see a positive rate of climb as the rotation progressed and we eventually got airborne. PMc thought we had hit a vehicle. Again no climb problems.

I remember thinking after the second one, this was the classic scenario, just what we do in the Sim, an engine failing on rotation, yet neither of these was anything like I had experienced in 12 years on simulator checks to date. Because of what else was happening, and the visual, tactile and aural clues we were getting, on both occasions, with no fire bell, not one crew member's first thought was that we were experiencing an engine failure - although it was very quickly picked up.

Still got some melted fan blades from both incidents.

Last edited by Hobo; 13th Dec 2010 at 16:15. Reason: added detail