PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash In Bettystown Ireland
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2010, 02:59
Too Old To Die Young

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When reading the threads on here, I normally get too bored with the 50% of rubbish that is spouted and give up. In this case how ever, because I was flying in Ireland at the time of the crash, I forced myself to read every post. Now that it is clear exactly what happened, including the ludicrous attempt by the supplier and pilot to cover up the full truth, I am appalled by some of the earlier posts. Any aviation authority has a difficult role in policing the cowboy element, especially when they are being misled. The fact that the pilot pleaded guilty must surely tell us something about his story. With all the facts that the IAA and FAA have, I am astonished that this cowboy still has a licence and is now running a flight school to show others how not to do it.

I hope some of the "lets wait for the report before we hang him" brigade, are suitably humbled and ashamed of the unquestioning back up of this man, just because he has a few hours. Quantity of hours doesn't necessarily make you experienced, or professional, maybe he's just lucky. Has he got 5000 hrs experience or 1 hours experience 5000 times.

Too many times, whilst flying in Ireland, I saw this total distain for the rules. It was more a question of how to get round the rules and operate the way I want to, rather than how can this be done within the rules.

Please IAA, sort out the system within you jurisdiction.