PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Milestone: First Flight of Eclipse 500!!!!! Get ready...
Old 26th Aug 2002, 20:21
Lavdumperer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aviation Milestone: First Flight of Eclipse 500!!!!! Get ready...

Just saw the announcement about the first flight of the Eclipse 500 jet (a sub-$1million private jet). Have you seen the stats on this aircraft? It will carry six people (total) at over 320 knots over 1,300 NM - and it will cost less than $1 million.

Add to that a very sophisticated glass cockpit (three large, integrated EFIS screens) and side-sticks ala Airbus A320s... Today is a milestone for general aviation. Can you imagine what this could mean in terms of providing low-cost aviation services to the masses? A real "air-taxi" service could very well result that opens up destinations thoughout the world...

I am not sure about the website address - but you should definitely find it and check this aircraft out (especially the cockpit pictures - WOW!!!!).

If I were a Piper Meridian or TBM 700 dealer I would be CRAPPING in my pants right now - they have 16 months to go before the full Eclipse testing is completed (assuming no delays) and then customers will start receiving orders soon thereafter. Eclipse expects to produce as many as 700-1,000 Eclipses PER YEAR using a special manufacturing process. Who would want to buy a $1.5 million Piper Meridian when you could own a $900K six-passenger, side-stick, full-EFIS jet instead? Not me!!!!!

Just sharing my excitement! Happy flying!

Cheers