PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 TypeRating
Thread: A320 TypeRating
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2010, 20:19
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitecross...I totally agree and am also hugely frustrated (read disgusted) by the current industry and motivation towards PTF...

I am not sold at all on the assumptions made here. Some people really need to pull back a little and assess the bigger picture. If we argue that you have already gained your fATPL, then you have undoubtedly already dropped £25-30K min. And now you want to spend another £30-35K (min again - I believe the course quoted here is £37=38K) based on the possibility that you might get hired once you have your line experience????

That, my friends, is one hell of a gamble with a hell of a lot of money. If you have any kind of life (and indeed family - wife, kids etc) then you really need to have a hard think. Likewise if you are over 30 and therefore don't have so much time to clear your debt (as opposed to a young 20 something).

I am late thirties, fATPL with >1000 hrs experience and have been hanging on for over 2 years. I haven't ever really considered PTF - I have too much more going on in my life to burden myself with another £30K of debt with no guarantees. I owe it to my family and my future not to do this. I would rather develop my career in other directions outside of aviation (and a sad day it would be for me) instead of embroiling myself in yet more debt, stress and worry.

I hope that truly does not happen to me and I have some opportunities yet. Please don't think I am judging others - its your call whatever you do. Its just so easy to get tunnel vision above everything else with this "must fly, will fly" mindset.