PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Dropping to 6 Fast-Jet Units
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2010, 19:17
sense1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These really are unprecedented times; the last 2 decades have seen what I think many would agree to be an unbelievable decline in fast jet types/ numbers/sqaudrons.... it is very sad and not a little disconcerting.

I wonder if we are in a similar situation to that of the 1930s - a lull in military spending and the priority of HM Forces in the government's mind being below most others (even with the current Herrick commitment!). If you take a few minutes to consider the potential list of threats to the UK or the parts of the world where conflict would have a direct effect on us - Iran, North Korea, Falklands, Russia vs another 'Georgia' type country (especially if it is a NATO nation!), Pakistan becoming a failed state, Arab/Israeli tensions and the other 1 million possibilities that we cannot predict - then in a few years we may require a reversal of the current decline and have to massively re-arm!!

Who knows eh - oh for a crystal ball... I just hope we don't get caught with our pants down and find ourselves unable to respond to a real, no s**t threat to the UK and/or its vital interests. Time will tell I guess...

Sense1