PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus prepares safety warnings following A321 incident
Old 12th Dec 2010, 15:55
goldfish85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you miss the mountains in a pull up with this type of g-limiting and bank-limiting A320 FBW sidestick?
No, I don't think you can. FBW will save the airframe from overload first, but ultimately hit the rocks as I understand it.

I thought so too. Back in the late 80s, I got into a lengthy argument with Gordon Corps, an Airbus test pilot. I suggested a contest. We would each dive at the ridge, and when I said "Now" we would each pull, me at slightly under the 3.75 g ultimate and he at 2.5 g. Whichever one missed the ridge would win.

What I didn't realize (and Airbus didn't explain well) was that he could snap the stick back to the stop and get to 2.5 g's right now. I would have to ease the yoke back and would ultimately take a few seconds. Later ALPA promoted an evaluation and found that snapping the stick right back smartly actually had the airplane bottom out somewhat higher.

I've come to the conclusion that Airbus got that part right. In fairness to Boeing, while the limits in g's are "soft" they're hard enough that I think you'll get the same effect.

Let's all get over it. A well-designed envelope protection scheme really works. It's saved airplanes. In the twenty some years of commercial FBW, I don't know of any caused by g-envelope protection.

Goldfish