PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA
Thread: MDA
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2010, 14:16
eckhard

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Capn Bloggs,

Depends entirely on company SOPs. There is nothing stopping anybody flying a CD NPA, even from a database, levelling at the MDA, proceeding to the Mapt and then executing the missed approach.
I agree that there is nothing stopping them, but one has to ask, why would anyone want to do that? With the exception of a circle-to-land, levelling at the MDA from a CD NPA will automatically put you above the desirable approach path to the runway of intended landing.

My understanding is that the idea behind CD NPA is to try and make the execution of these as similar as possible to an ILS. Hence the use of a CDA, a DA and the lack of a level flight segment prior to the MAP. Although I agree that the use of a CD is beneficial, even if you plan to fly level at the MDA, I really can't see the point of this level flight towards the MAPt (unless circling). It seems to invite the pilot to spot the threshold at a later stage than normal and then make a dive towards the runway. We all know what that can lead to.

Regards,
Eck