PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD - All Not Good in Mesa
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2010, 13:22
wallsend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not what I heard from a very senior redtop man a few years ago. The training staff all wanted 902 but the exchange rate at the time made it too expensive. So they went for the 135.

As an aside, I spent the greater part of a day last week waiting for a 135 to be released following what was meant to be a short scheduled service at a police unit. The aircraft went off at 0900 and wasn't released until 1700! One problem according to the engineer (very respected by me and others there) was the nightmare paperwork provided.

I have lost count how many times I've experienced this with the 135 (earlier this year the adjacent 135 unit lost theirs for 5 WEEKS! Strangely not reported on pprune or by PAN News)

I am current on both types and have in excess of 1500 hrs 135 and 1000 hrs 902, and by my personal experience the 902 is, on balance, the better aircraft. I like flying the 135 a lot but I am regularly mystified by the absolutely virulently negative attitude some peolple have towards the 902. The only thing they seem have in common is that they aren't type rated on it. (it can't, of course, because some have a vested interest in pushing Eurocopter products...oh no)

Also, when when people trumpet the industrial might of Eurocopter or AG, why can I hear the "Imperial March" from Star Wars playing in my head? (der, der, der; der, dee, der etc. there it goes again!)

I'm off to finish putting up my new bike shed!