PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phoenix East Aviation
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2002, 18:26
Stratocaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have any problem with the FAA, the regs, the tougher immigration laws, the new security screenings, the hour building as CFI, etc.

But I do have a problem with the marketing techniques used by some flight schools (could it be the majority indeed ?). By telling potential customers "Hey, come over here, you'll get all the licences you can dream of, and you'll also build hours as CFI" the flight school lies. Nobody can garantee you anything (usually nobody really does) and the word "garantee" is carefully withdrawn from the flight schools' vocabulary. No matter what they say and how, at the end of the day it's right there in your brain cells "I'm going to make hundreds of hours as an instructor, cooool !". Maybe you will, but probably you won't. Especially now with an industry still recovering from 9/11 and a few other things that were already there before the attacks.

My previous message was just a warning to you, Lewi, just in case you didn't realize where you're going. Being a dispatcher in contact with the "real" airline world, you should be okay and know what is right, what is not, and what to expect for your money. Go get a few licences and some hours in the States, you'll probably enjoy it as much as I did. But be careful. If something is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

And, for the records, I'm not a CFI, and never wanted to be one. I was offered a CFI job last autumn (provided I did the course with the flight school, of course) but was well inspired to turn down the offer. 90% of my friends who were CFI/CFII or on their way to become one at that time left the country months ago, some of them even changed their mind and never took the CFI course.