PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2010, 13:06
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.5.3 Departing the pattern

When clearance is received specifying the time of departure from the holding point, the pilot should adjust the pattern within the limits of the established holding procedure in order to leave the holding point at the time specified.
...refers to that you should adjust your timing and inbound turn in the hold to exit the hold over the fix at the cleared time. If you are making one more turn to the right you are still in the holding and are leaving it on the outbound leg.

I guess you could also adjust your timing that it will fit that you can make the turn to the right and then immediately further right that you that you hit the fix again and leave. But what would be gained by that? By making a 360 over the fix, you nose will still be pointed in the wrong direction, and you would have to make a left turn anyway.

If making a right turn and go directly for the radial, without overflying TGO - when and where did you leave the holding?

I'll agree to the fact that it's academical with the procedure in question, due to the similar distance and time to be flow to get established on the 254 radial.
Microburst2002 has the right answer in my opinion:
As long as you are above the MSA and you don't make an incursion in someone else's path, you can do whatever you want.
As an side note I flew the said TGO holding pattern last winter when they were clearing the runway from snow. We left the holding on a radar vector. Only case I can think about where to leave that holding in the without instructions from ATC would be by com failure. In that case I would definitely go for the shortest direction left turn, because it clearly shows ATC without doubt that you are about to leave the holding pattern.