PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - meniere's disese ???
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2010, 03:54
stilton

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pilotwood and all others.

I have been on disability and out of the cockpit for three years with an imbalance / vertigo/ dizziness issue.

The problem seems to be an overly sensitive left inner ear.

When the problem first started I literally had to hold on to my seat to keep from 'falling off' and had a very hard time walking.

I still have regular attacks while walking, with a 'falling over' sensation, pain and Tinnitus in my left ear.

I have been to the 'best' medical institutions in the US in an attempt to find a cure for this (Two different Mayo Clinics and the House Clinic) with no cause found and my only unusual test being my left ear.

In my opinion the Docs diagnose you with 'Menieres' when they don't know what else to say is wrong with you. It doesn't really define or mean anything.
Sort of like saying you are Caucasian..

This problem can be incredibly frustrating and depressing. I have had as many 'diagnoses' and opinions as I have seen Doctors, ranging from 'it's an inner ear virus' (for which I took anti-virals over a two year period with no result) to ' its a neck injury' to my favourite 'it's all in your head'

Having said that, I am considering surgery for which this particular Doctor (A Neurotologist) claims a 50 / 50 chance of improvement.

This surgery is the 'endolymphatic shunt'

It is similar to what Alan Shepard, the Astronaut had done and involves inserting a tube into the endolymphatic sac of the inner ear to control abnormal fluid pressure and help drain excess endolymph.

I consider surgery to be a last resort. I was hoping, over the course of time that nature's own healing and adaptation would fix the problem.

But after 3 years off work the hoped for improvement has not occurred.

Before surgery I am going to try a course of anti-depressants as a few of these are now approved by the FAA.

Supposedly, one of the side effects of these is an increase in one's Serotonin levels which, in turn helps with the balance function.

If that doesn't work, I will try the surgery.

If anyone has questions feel free to PM me, I can relate to you my experience if that would be of any help.