PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejecting A Takeoff After V1…why Does It (still) Happen?
Old 11th Dec 2010, 20:42
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a type, several in fact.

The real issue isn't just how much runway ahead but the conditions I would be pulling the broken plane into.

Taking a problem up into the soup, on a SID, in the mountains, picking up ICE, trying to get back down to minimums...as opposed to a nice easy roll out is a no brainer for me.

As far as acceptable margin...every runway is different, and weather conditions are different...it's not hard to calculate runway needed to stop...on a post V1 abort...that's easy...the real question is what's beyond the end of the runway....cliff, lava...over run, miles of flat Iowa cornfields...or just miles of nice flat dry runway...
I still want to know how you easily calculate runway required on a post V1 stop. You haven't answered because you can't.

I still want to know the reason that you will stop after V1.
Is it the weather conditions?
Or flying a SID?
Or icing?
Or flying an approach to minimums?
Is it what's beyond the DER? Does that matter if you're calcs are so good and easy to do?

All of those things we are trained to do in an aircraft designed and certified to do it.