PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2010, 20:42
manderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am enjoying everybody's reminiscences of the Chipmunk; truly a memorable aircraft.

Mention of various RAC Instructors brings back memories.

I also was sent solo in RSK by Bill Lord during 1965, managing to achieve a complete induced tail wheel shimmy!

Arthur Kell was indeed a reserved gentleman. I did one eventful cross-country to Canberra with him plus several training flights. He actually was one of the crew (Captain?) who ferried the ex-New Caledonia French Navy Lancaster to Great Britain in the 1960's. Is this the one the BBMF still use?

Spike Jennings was a lovable, laid back, jolly fellow and a pleasure to fly with, which I did a lot.

Pat Gallagher was just before my time but his very low level demonstrations in a Chipmunk at Wallacia, including steep turns around a gum tree with the wing tip some 2 metres above the ground, were awesome.

Speaking of RSX the previous RSX was the Percival Prince which Sir Reg Barnewall purchased to start Polynesian Airlines in 1959. This aircraft remained largely intact in the bush near Faleolo Airport, Samoa until 2005 when a ruthless golf course contractor buried it in the ground! I had an enjoyable meeting with Sir Reg and his wife when they came to Samoa to release his book "Wings Over Samoa" in 2008.