PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2010, 19:59
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dixi188
A certain CFI (I think) at BA flying club, High Wycombe, who was also F/O on concorde, showed me some photographs of an engine that had eaten a piece of intake ramp.
I think he said that the adjacent engine had surged and a piece of ramp went out the front and down the other engine. This resulted in a double engine failure mid atlantic. They landed in Shannon with very little fuel left.
Maybe M2dude remembers the occasion?

First time that happened was on prototype 001 in the very early days, when an engine "spit out" the entire ramp (there's a photo in Trubshaw's book).
The ramps and actuators were 'beefed up' considerably afterwards... I didn't know an in-service aircraft had suffered a similar mishap.

Question, how fast was the ramp going if the A/C was at Mach 2?
Good question.... not being an "engine man" I've always been amazed how a nice steady Mach 2 flow, slowed down to Mach 0.5 at the engine inlet, is capable of totally choking off and even reversing itself in less than a second.... no wonder it's usually accompanied by a big bang!

CJ

PS I have no record of any of the British development aircraft ever having lost a ramp, notwithstanding the number of deliberate engine surges they went hrough. But then maybe I wasn't told....