PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 11th Dec 2010, 13:17
melbATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
I've just a couple of questions about ATCO selection and training with ASA.

- What's the age limit to be able to apply as an ATCO and does it differ between ATC positions?

- Candidates average fail rate during the selection process? How many candidates are screened yearly?

- ATCO students fail rate during training?

Thanks
1. There is no age limit, however from experience people over the age of about 30 have a higher failure rate.

That being said older people can and do get through the training it just depends on the amount of effort the individual is prepared to put in.

2. Well I'm not sure about the averages on this one however I was able to find out for my course they had just over 1200 applications, about 400 were invited to the testing day's, about 120 were interviewed and 12 of us were offered training slots.

3. It really does vary from course to course i.e one course recently had all rate and another recently had all but one fail.

The average seems to be around the 50% mark give or take.

Dont let those numbers put you off, this really is the type of job you don't want to be doing if you are not suited to it and it's better to find out before you have thousands of lives in your hands.

However if you do make it through you will find it is a fantastic job if you can handle the shift work.