PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2010, 10:36
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall my first trip into Hong Kong as one of the crew of "Fat Albert". The "Staish" was the Captain of our crew and that he'd been sidelined for an evening out with OC RAF Kai Tak.

Meanwhile, our "Co" had arranged our own night-out by inviting a few nurses from the Military Hospital to accompany the remainder of the crew for dinner.

"Smart casual" was the order of dress for the evening; which wasn't too difficult, because the "Staish" had ordered us all to pack lounge-suits for the stop-over in Columbo where we were all invited to dinner at the Gall Face Hotel... that's a different story; however, back to HKG.

We were all booted and spurred to meet said nurses within a local, but very smart, bar in Kowloon. Our Co-Pilot knew his muse for the evening swaree and that the other three quickly paired-off with the remainder of the crew; the Nav, Loadie, and myself (Eng).

My partner was wearing a most delightful clingy silk cocktail dress; which left nothing to the immagination. All was going well until the Nav opened-up a packet of fags and offered them around the table (everyone smoked in those days). Not long after I'd lit-up I managed to graze my fag-end against that silky dress that my partner was wearing and that, being silk, it immediately melted a hole in it... bugger!

Our Co-Pilot was first to comment; saying that I should take the poor girl to a local tailor and have another one made to measure for picking-up later. Good call; however, he then went on to say (in well intentioned good humour)... Typical "Enlisted $hit"; can't be trusted with anything but a spanner! Her reply was... "You mean; you're not commissioned"? Err, no... exit said nurse.

After a short altercation with said Co-Pilot... exit Eng. Eng found solace in a bar just around the corner. Half an hour later... in came my three colleagues (without nurses); the Co-Pilot offering huge appologies; besides which... I had the kitty!

Not surprisingly, I can't remember much else about that evening.

Happy days...