PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forget the traditional route
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2010, 06:46
FANS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget the traditional route

Guys

Heard lots of talk about building hours then moving up the chain = FI/Twins/TurboP/Jets, but it's all nonsense now.

I really reckon we're at the stage whereby you're first job is either on a 737/A320 or you're never going to fly one.

The change in the last 5 years has been unbelievable.

Training schools are chucking out grads still, and the airlines are only too happy to take them as it makes ££sense££. In summary, it's never been easier to get straight onto a jet (provided you've got the cash).

Personal view is you've got the following options:

1) Modular/Integrated and try like hell to get into RYR.
2) Modular/Integrated and Eagle Jet/P2F . You might then get a Far Eastern gig.
3) CTC Wings and EZY.
4) tagged scheme

Talk of qualifying and then doing the FI route is just naive now, unless FI is what you want to do. You're better off saving the FIR money and buying some form of TR - it really is that bad.

Regardless of what EZY pay you with CTC, you're getting hours on A320 and jumping the queue of the 1000s sitting around in SEP time. I reckon it could save you a decade, and after a few years with EZY you'll be on decent money and have some other options.

I really think we need to think how the landscape has massively shifted and that you need to now have the money for:
1) FATPL
2) TR
3) living costs for 2 years

i.e. a massive amount of cash, but there's plenty out there who do. We're honestly at the stage whereby if you don't have enough for those 3, you shouldn't even start, unless GA is your passion.