PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2010, 05:22
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Isn't it 'amazing' as to how the 'wheel turns'....

I stumbled on this thread from one on the DHC-1, and.....suprise suprise....

I took my first flight in a Chippie as a young ATC Cadet, and 'loved it'.

So, on 17 May 1964 I took my TIF in 'FTA' with John McCullagh.
Other instructors followed - quite a few different ones - however lesson 3 saw me with 'Spike' Jennings, and so followed 'circuits' with him.
RSP, RSQ, RSK with Kev Fethers, with Alan Barlow, and eventually Bill Lord sent me 'off' in RSK on my first solo.

Did spins with Spike, no strakes then, and as far as I am aware, there were no problems with the recovery after 4 turns.
4 turns was the 'recommended max' then.
I do recall the stall from a climbing steep turn would give a rather fast 'autorotation' and a resulting 'wot happened then..?' as it spun the other way....
All of my spinning was in RSQ and RSK, in 1964.
Later in 1968 I was instructing in the WA Wheatbelt and was offerred Chippie AMV to use to teach a couple of Ag Sales people.
Did the required spins in her and they were OK. 4 turns only was 'good policy' apparently.
Then later, joy of joy, RSK appeared in WA and was available to moi..!! Again!!
It seemed to be the 'nicest' Chippie - something to do with a wing mod I was told - anyhow.
Pat Gallagher, ex RACNSW CFI, was in WA at that time and took great delight in checking out one of my students in it. I think he thoroughly enjoyed that aircraft as well.
'Chippies' and 'Tigers' - Ah! Wot a life it was....The WA wheatbelt was 'alive' with 'good' and 'interesting' aircraft way back then.

The 'wheel turning'.......
Recently, self and No1 son acquired one DHC-1 VH-RWI from RACWA.
Ex - WB728, EI-AHP, G-AOZU, 5N-AGP....others(?)

We intend leaving it 'on line' with RACWA as we don't have bottom-less pockets, and it will be 'interesting' to get into a Chippie again after 40 years on.....

That's a luvly photo Mr 'T' of the fleet lined up.
As I recall, RSX the PA-24 180 was a nice machine to fly. I only flew her once or twice as I had a better rate with a PA-24 '250' at the time.

And just for info, I did my navs with Arthur Kell. One of nature's gentlemen.
At about the same time there was a French Lancaster at De Hav's for servicing - it was a maritime patrol acft in from Noumea, and Arthur was invited to go and 're-kindle the memories' in it.

OOps sorry to take up so much space, ...memories....

Cheers