PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 accident in south of France
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2010, 20:42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I first met Martin 25 years ago when he was an active member of the Long Mynd Hang Gliding Club. I did not know Simon. In those days there was a pecking order and the old hands expected sprogs to learn the hard way.

This was not the attitude of old-hand Martin, he always extended the hand of encouragement and warmth to any flyer.

I can still see him now, striding through the purple heather of the Mynd, setting sun to his back, booming some friendly advice and comfort as I lay underneath a smashed glider with equally damaged collar bone. He canceled his flying, took charge, sat me down, summoned the ambulance and secured my glider. (His father was a Doctor I understand). I bought his Hang Glider off him some months later.

You always came away from a conversation with Martin feeling better about things. He had a knack of putting the mundane into perspective, cutting through the crap and pointing to the clouds.

If there was ever one person to have around when things weren’t too good it was him. If there was ever one person I was proud to know it was him. If there was ever anyone who was designed to be in a cockpit it was him.

Fly away Martin.

Pete.

Last edited by Cron; 10th Dec 2010 at 20:57.