PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2010, 18:20
flameproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@AngeleToR:

First, thanks for a polite reply, and as a foreword, I am well aware that the government is using all this to divert public attention away from their incompetent handling of the huge crisis we are in, but that's as far as it goes - they present the facts in a way that suits their needs, but in the end, facts are facts.

To comment on your points:

We made some simple sums this summer and saw that the maximum hours will be reached by the end of the year, and government said we were menacing with undeclared strikes. They let the problem rot until it wildly exploded, I say again, we are EXHAUSTED and thousands of lives depend on us and our good job (thanks god for the TCAS)... We are AFRAID of doing our job in our current conditions (physically and psychologically tired, many are menaced with jail and losing EVERY property they have, people HATES US thanks to our incompetent government).
From what I know, the government took the average hours you worked previous years, being 1670, and took this as the new base instead of the 1200 that were set in the 1999 agreement ('convenio'). They added an extra 80 voluntary hours on top just in case. Now, can you please answer, in order to clarify things:

- Did the government set 1670 + 80 = 1750 hours as the MAXIMUM you could work this year, meaning, they PROHIBITED you from doing any extra hours than this amount?

- Did you really do an average of 1670 hours the last few years, as has been said, where everything above 1200 hours was paid as overtime? If so, how can previous years have been covered with 1670 hours, but this year we fall two months short due to a much higher "rate of consumption" of hours?

OK, we deserve it because of what we have done, screwing everybody up and all that stuff... But honestly, do you believe that what we did is a rational reaction for a group of equilibrated people just forcing the government to earn 350.000€ instead of 200.000€??? It seems more a desperate measure of desperate people trying desperately to be heard, to stop all the madness we are living in from ten months now until it's too late and we all get really sorry about it. And please, forget about money once and for all, 5.000€ gross per month sums 60.000€, google a little and you will find scanned monthly wages proving it.
Honestly, I think the issue is not just pay - there may be legitimate claims such as shift schedules etc., but with your actions you lost all right to those claims. However, we have not heard one single ATCO say "we would gladly give up our salaries based on overtime and hire 1000 controllers to make up the difference". As for the monthly wages, yes, I have seen one that totals 5.000€ for one month clean, gross was 10.000€. I have also seen this one:

http://www.cadenaser.com/csermedia/c..._2_Pes_PDF.pdf

which comes at 30.000€ gross, 16.500€ CLEAN. In 12 months, that is 360.000€ gross, or 198.000€ clean. And we're talking november 2010, so these are wages after the cuts made last February. This brings another question:

- Is it true that AENA is paying you the difference between the old salary and the new salary after the cuts, until you reach a new agreement with them? This is what Mr. Lema, AENA's director, said before the Senate.

We are playing with human lives, nobody sees??? When finally the accident happens, as we are warning since months ago, let's guess who will end up in jail... Right, the ATCO!!! Because we have warned (menaced according gov.) about colliding two airplanes...
These days, with modern radar and TCAS, it is quite unlikely. Also, the fact that you are now using strict adherence to SIDs and STARs makes it even less likely that something bad could happen. VFR flights are not allowed in TMAs or CTRs at big airports, so the problem of stray light planes is reduced in comparison with, say, London TMA. This brings another question:

- Do you still get your 33% time rest periods? Have they been reduced to 25%? What is the maximum straight time you are actually working before a radar console or at the tower?

I sincerely hope you resolve the problems, meaning that the government stops using the issue as a political pawn/smokescreen, and you admit that you have lived extremely privileged lives for many years, and that you're now willing to be sensible and come to reasonable terms. Admit your mistakes, show that you care and are "sorry" (can't find a good word to get the point across) and you will find the people will be willing to forgive you and go back to hating politicians.

@paidworker:

You resort to bickering attacks, which shows you have no good arguments:

Flameproof, you wanted to be an air traffic controller but failed to get in.
I said I wanted to, but I didn't even try, so how could I fail? I was told both by a military controller with many years on the job, and by the son of an Iberia fleet commander, that you plugged people in at will, and controlled the admission process. If you got lucky and all friends & family had been "placed" and there were spots left, you could get in, but that it was rather unlikely. So, why even try? Question:

- Do you deny that USCA had control, at least a veto, over the admissions process, and thus could control how many controllers were hired?

- Do you deny that USCA, as part of the tribunal that judged applicants, had the power to admit friends & family, and deny entry to others?

Regardless of the maths etc. etc. the point is now that the government is using the military in an illegal manner to force people to do their work
It may be illegal - the legal system and laws of Spain are so screwed up, almost anything is possible. What is a fact is that your irresponsible act was illegal, and could land you anywhere between three and eleven years in jail.

Questions for you:

- Can you suggest how the situation may have been resolved, instead of threatening you with jail time?

- All the public knows is that that Friday evening, your USCA delegates presented a proposal to AENA which returned everything to 2009-like conditions, i.e. 1200 hours max, the rest hugely expensive overtime, etc. is this true?

- How could work have been done with 1670 hours in the past, and not this year? What has been different?

Instead of attacking back, answer the questions.