PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2010, 10:28
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Che,yes, part of a legacy of course. Create a climate of fear & people respond. Overpreparation is something we all do, for any exam. I too, like rumrunner, have never heard of "underpreparation". Of course there are a few, laid back guys, who think that the upgrade is a walk in the park & not even worth digging the books out for. For some really talented chaps, this is true. However, the perception from the Command Selection Board is that you appear uninterested or that the upgrade is just a seat swop. In a selective environment, you cannot afford to be THAT laid back.

All airlines differ. Some really do swop seats.It appears that way but, as RR says, after five or ten years in the RHS, companies already know if you are LHS material or not. GF adopted this awful obstacle course for all (even previous Captains who served GF in the RHS, initially,) and, I think RH & PM went too far in devising a selection procedure similar to the one they probably failed !

In my first Company, RHS was always coaching for the LHS. It was a long time to command, 12-15 years and those who really did not show Command potential were told that, many times in the lead up to upgrade. Some chaps were not interested in LHS. GF has a few.But, after 12 years, the Company provided a Command Preparation Course.One week of Tech review, classroom discussions & even a few sessions in the LHS, all fun, just to get used to the perspective. The Company really was focused upon "Training" and interested in getting loyal company First Officers into the LHS.

Once the "legacy" of the rotten old school have gone, GF has a big chance, with the young, enthusiastic Trainers to "Train to excellance".

Keep up the high standards guys. Always delighted in flying with the most talented bunch of people I have ever known.