PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French Concorde crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2010, 07:38
solaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What projectile impact tests are done for assessing hydrodynamic ram vulnerability in certification now on civilian aircraft ? What testing has been done on hydrodynamic ram vulnerability on existing already certified civilian types ? What ADs issued on it for existing types ? Or were all other existing types miraculously not vulnerable to it ?

Oh, and are the stronger tyres designed for Concorde now on all civilian types ? That would be prudent, would it not, given what we now know about tyre failure from being sliced by fod ? The stronger tyre design is a solved problem, an extant solution for a known risk, surely we should ground any aircraft that doesn't use it ?
Reading the BEA report I wondered the same thing. As far as I can tell Concorde was doing approximately 170-180knots when it hit the titanium strip? Is there no danger at all if an Airbus A380 tyre was destroyed in an identical manner near its rotation speed? I know that the wing is thicker and the tyre pressure less - is that sufficient?

After the crash Concorde was modified with kevlar fuel tank liners, burst resistant tyres, and the electric wiring in the wheel bay protected against tyre damage.