PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft without a loss of oil pressure procedure
Old 10th Dec 2010, 03:27
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a little worried that my blades wouldn't feather too...because on that plane an unfeathered engine
Excuse me. And for what possible reason might not the prop feather, given that it relies on oil pressure to keep it out of the feather position. Ever notice the prop position on shutdown?

Feathering of the propeller, a critical function for multiengine aircraft, is accomplished by allowing oil to drain from the propeller servo. Feather springs and counterweight forces on the propeller will force the blades into the feather position in the absence of high pressure oil. To do this, the governor makes use of either a feather lift rod or a feather plunger The feather lift rod is centered in the control shaft on top of the governor. When the control shaft is moved to the minimum RPM position, the lift rod pulls the pilot valve into a simulated overspeed condition which allows oil to drain from the propeller. Some governor models use a feather plunger instead of a lift rod. The feather plunger does not directly contact the pilot valve, rather, it diverts governor pump oil to a feather drain tube. Feather plungers react more quickly than feather lift rods and are thus used on higher pressure operation systems such as those found on PT6-67 series engines. Use of a feather plunger bypasses normal porting and allows for quicker feathering of the prop.