PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $12M fire bomber trial
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2010, 20:33
skidamarinkster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta, I agree that the big aircraft can make a mess but would have to disagree in your comparison between the Erickson Aircrane and the DC10. They are very different tools designed for very different uses in aerial firefighting. A load dropped from a DC10 dropped correctly (ie at the correct speed and height) will not cause widspread destruction. Any drop from a Fixed Wing if done correctly must reach terminal velocity before it reaches the tree canopy and therefore should largely come down like rain. A lot of people incorrectly believe that the load needs to be "punched" or pushed through the canopy - this is when it gets dangerous.

I think the Aircranes are a great tool and I reckon that they have probably been the best single thing that has made a significant difference to the success of some of the initial fire attack in Victoria. I have, however been in the situation a couple of times as a firefighter not too far from Melbourne where the Cranes have had way too far to go for water and their effectiveness dropped significantly. Not many people know it but often on a hot day they will only be carrying about 4500 - 5500 litres. In these situations a drop from a big bomber (or several split drops) would have been far more efficient and effective without any safety issues for the crew or the guys on the ground.