PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-111 Retirement
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2010, 10:38
SgtBundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the AIRTC at Lismore back around 95-96, and we used to get the odd invite by the local RAAF guys out to the Evans Head bombing range to watch the F-111s or SAF Skyhawks do their thing.

One particular time we we watching the F-111s and we were told to climb up on a demountable block, and one cadet was given a large orange triangle to hold above their head. We watched the F-111 appear out from the ocean down south of Yamba and come screaming in directly at us, wings fully swept back and he shot over us at what seemed about 200 feet (probably higher). Never forget the absolute kick to the chest as the sound hit and almost being knocked off the building because of it. Awesome experience.

Also used to watch them do circuits over town when they did touch and goes at YBNA instead of paying attention in class.

My kids first experience of them was one doing a dump and burn at the Richmond air show a few years ago. Unfortunately it was their first introduction to aircraft that close and I am pretty sure it scarred them... At least that time I had a decent camera.