PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HERC - XV198 – Crash COLERN 1973
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2010, 10:33
andrew Scott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C130 Crash

Hi my names Andrew
I was 10 years old at the time of this incident.
My dad was flt Sgt scott known as scootie and ran the Sargents Mess at RAF Colerne at that time.
I was at school on that day - my school was essentially at the end of the runway from where I spent much time watching the contless touch downs and take off manouvres.
On this day I was in the play ground when i heard the rev of engines from an incredibly low flying herc.
We all stopped playing and stared at the almost stationery plane in the air - the plane was so close we could see the co pilot move his hands in front of his face - the plane groaned as it slowly tilted left and slowly lost hieght - we watched it slowly decend and crash in the woods on the far side of the field......
Black smoke and aviation fuel still haunts me - our school bus took us home right passed the crash scene opposite the station church where I was a Choir Boy.
I have much more detail and if anyone would like to know more just ask..
The church is still there but closed.
I may be imagining it but when I visit periodically and stand right in the middle of where the crash was I am sure I can still get the odd wiff of aviation fuel.
I was aware one engine not working but then again that was a regular sight.
So sad...
A day I remember like yesterday.
Bless the families and kids who lost their dad's.