PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silly names
Thread: Silly names
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2010, 01:43
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
''It took me ages to work out Dan Winterland''. Didin't think it was that cryptic. There's also a Dan Winteroll and a Dan Winterlandandstream around as well.

Not sure where I got it from as it was so long ago but I know I didn't originally think of it. I first started using it in the mid 80s when as an RAF pilot, we all had RAF wings badges with silly names on for happy hours/parties/airshows away from base where aninomity was useful in the subsequent witch-hunts! All the flying suit badges were on velcro, also quick changes were easy - including the swapping of badges to confuse witnesses!

I once forgot to change the badge over while manning a static display at the Leuchars airshow in the late 80s. Having staggered out of bed with a few less brain cells functioning than actually required as a result of an excellent first night party, I wore my Dan Winterland badge all day and only found out when I was called into the Boss' office a few days later where he showed me the front page of a Scottish daily newspaper which had a picture of me showing a dignitary around the cockpit with the caption "Flt Lt Dan Winterland shows the Lord High Sherrif of Fife the BAe wonderjet".