PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejecting A Takeoff After V1…why Does It (still) Happen?
Old 9th Dec 2010, 00:41
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Suddenly, we have moved from a discussion on V1 and the certification criteria attached to it, to terrorism as a foreseeable event that is part of take-off planning. Are you scared to fly?

As i pointed out, at Baghdad Int'l and Balad AB, we didn't change the the reject criteria, just the departure routing and procedure. At V1, we briefed continuing--it doesn't hurt at those weights the V1 = Vr, so we were airborne anyway. But the certainty of over-rrunning out-weighed the statistically remote chances of someone shooting a IR missile; let alone the remote chance of an entirely ineffective RPG hit. If you take-off from the fictional NW International Airport, ID and someone jumps out from the pucker bush, stands up and sends you an RPG round into the tailcone of your Citation at Vr, hell, at V2, be my guest, land straight ahead. BUT, don't tell me 160,000 professional pilots with millions of safe flight hours and statistically sound procedures are WRONG for continuing at V1 with a mechanical failure.

I don't know your career background, but it is obvious you have "issues" accepting that the airlines operate without you. Yes, it is true, they do. And the thousands of captains are NOT robots who don't think every time they advance the throttles--they do--EVERYTIME! I know, I've been there. As have most of the posters on this thread and the others where you have spouted off your damaged crockery ideas. All smarter than me or you.

I fly a GLEX and use FLEX power where indicated, I fly in about 30 countries a year; including such wonders as Beirut and Afghan and Iran overflights. I don't brief RPG procedures despite nearly 30 years of military flying, it just ain't a reasonable planning factor.

What's your reject plan when a printer cartridge of C4 goes off at 50 feet AGL? At 500 feet AGL? There's a reason safety investigations END when the police determines that a criminal/terrorist event occurred--it isn't addressable within our community.

GF

I breath a sigh of relief when the EGPWS terrain display is gone and 1013 is set, especially in Lagos. V1 is too soon.