PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejecting A Takeoff After V1…why Does It (still) Happen?
Old 8th Dec 2010, 23:17
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johns7022,

I'm curious. Do you bother calling V1 when you trundle off down the runway? If you do, why?

Also, is your view on post V1 rejects the same for contaminated runways?

When it goes bang and you look out of the window do you consider the weight of your aircraft, temperature, wind, distance to go, acceleration and runway slope in the split second before you decide to stop or go?

What was that bang? Do you consider the possibility of a tyre burst and a reduction in breaking efficiency?

What do you do on short strips where you might have a balanced field? Do you now use V1? What's V1, I aint used that for ages?!

I assume that you have flawless stereoscopic, binocular vision. Maybe Joe Bloggs hasn't so he can't rely on just his eyesight to accurately judge how much runway is left. What do you do if you have a bit of eye tension? That affects you depth perception and ability to judge distances.

Can you easily and quickly judge how much is left when you're taking off into sun with a bit of mist or haze? How about low vis, 300 meters or so? How much runway left now?

How about night? Again, depth perception is changed.

Depth or distance perception is based on previous visions of an object or scene. If you have knowledge of the size of an object from previous experience, then your brain can gauge the distance based on the size of the object on the retina. However, if you haven't seen the object previously then it is much harder for you to judge distance to it. The object, for you, would be the end of the runway. Now say the runway is narrower than your usual one, it would then appear longer and unless you'd seen that previously you are very likely to misjudge the distance to go to the end.