PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Execs.....Pigs at the Trough.
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2002, 03:20
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So CheckEssential.....what part of Corporate Management giving themselves huge bonuses while lowering the terms and conditions of staff do you find acceptable?

I know of ground staff at QF who have been forced to 'reapply' for their own jobs, and if you don't like it then we will find someone who does!...they litterally sit at the same desk, in the same room doing the same job for a 'different' employer on reduced wages and no staff travel...any wonder morale at QF is so bad!

It's not just QF of course, it's the latest reincarnation of Corporate greed that started with the excesses of the 80s....more and more beancounters are running the world for only their benefit...Worldcom & Enron are classic examples...Ansett too for that matter!!!

Big bonuses for short term 'improvement' in company performance...followed by farking off when things start to come unravelled has become the Beancounter/Management two step...the only staff around to wear the long term effects are the people being screwed in the short term.

Nothing leads me to believe that Dixon etc are in any way more honest or less motivated by personal wealth and power than any of their less lucky brethren at Enron...they are just blessed to be in a company that was put on an incredible sound footing by the previous owners while the previous owners of the competition, AN, assett stripped the place...and that 911 didn't happen in their backyard.

While I completely agree that a job at QF would be mana from heaven for presently unemployed AN pilot think a little down the track, not like the management types. If you join QF next week and find 10 years down the track that your wages and conditions have been driven into the toilet while 'the bosses' give themselves million dollar bonuses how will you feel?

As another example there is a 737 airline in the Pacific who has been offering each new pilot that is employed a different/lower pay scale for years....hardly fair when you consider what a miniscule percentage of the overall running costs of a Boeing are pilot wages is it? You can bet your last dollar that the beancounters at that airline haven't been going financially backwards in the same time period.

Any idiot could have been running QF successfully in the last year..what part of being handed 30+% of the domestic market on a platter and getting some more aeroplanes to make the best of that situation requires huge 'performance' bonuses.

What completely blows me out of the water is when these ar$eholes get bonuses for 'minimising' the damage that their own short term strategies cause!! Or if they've been really culpable they get several million to go away and say nothing to anyone...sheer unadulterated lunacy

Chuck.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 26th Aug 2002 at 03:24.