PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Correct use of the Flight Director
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2010, 19:21
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FD has to be understood as a pitch and bank target indicator.

It tells us which is the pitch and bank that should give us the desired performance.

Then we can achieve those targets either abruptly or smoothly.

FD do not give rate commands, only targets. The rate at which you reach them is yours to decide (within reason). Sometimes, a given target "expires" within seconds and is substituted by another, and you know it in advance so, you wait for the bar to come to you, instead of blindly following it.

Many "fresh" airline pilots tend to rotate too quicky in take off as an instinctive reaction to the pitch bar suddely going up to 15º. Or to bank at too high a rate because the roll bar went fully right after selecting a heading.

When the roll bar "goes" away, I then roll gently until the roll bar comes to me. The thing is more complex when reaching the target heading, though. Then it has some algorithm to resemble a rate command, I deem. If you follow quickly the bar, maybe you undershoot so the bar gives you a small bank for a while. If you are too slow, you will overshoot and the bar will go to the other side. In my airplane, I usually try to use always the same roll rate. Sometimes I note the degrees I turn from the begining till the end of the roll. Then I use that as the lead to go out of the turn and it works very well.

If you look at APs, they take their time to reach FD targets. Sometimes too much!