PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Execs.....Pigs at the Trough.
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2002, 02:11
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
QANTAS Execs.....Pigs at the Trough.

FROM THE FIN REVIEW
Qantas chairman Margaret Jackson (the woman who said Qantas should worry less about its passengers and staff and more about its shareholders...Al) said the airline would consider new partnerships with carriers in the United States, Asia and Europe as it moved to expand operations. She also told ABC's Inside Business that the airline had toyed with the idea of a dual listing, but had not yet seen how that could add value and did not expect to pursue such a move in the short term. Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon told Nine's Business Sunday the airline's executives could receive a salary bonus of about 50 per cent for the past financial year, although it had yet to be determined. He would receive a "large bonus". Jane Boyle
================================

I'm sorry but with Australia's media guffawing at the brilliance of Dixon I just can't see it. It is the same sort of bowing at the corporate gods we saw with the likes of Alan Bond and Peter Abeles and is VERY unhealthy.

Qantas' No. 1 competitor fell over and surprise, they make a big profit. Big deal. The execs, like snorting pigs at the trough then wallow amongst the dollars whilst seeking downward pressure on the salaries of their staff in the name of remaining relevant in the marketplace.

Pilots at Qantas (longhaul) are for example somewhat of an international datum for the lowest paid reference to a national coast of living base. In fact certai Asian airlines would love to pay their pilots such low wages. Have a look at what JAL, CAL, CX etc pay their pilots and then look at the tax rates in those countries. Those pilots are significantly better off than their QF counterparts. Then have a look at the cost of living and housing in the current required domicile for QF pilots and it is not a good prognosis.

Now of course, everybody in QF knows somebody who is unemployed ex AN or pilots still working in the bush after 10 years and management are too happy to tell you that the future is lower salaries and higher productivity ala Virgin Blue. However the truth is that they are very different beasts and QF has the inertia and momentum to always be in the marketplace as long as complacency doesn't creep in.

Is it thus not time for you guys (especially AIPA) to pipe up and say we want to be paid internationally competive salaries and will no longer be simply compliant to the wishes of management unless there are real gains in return. The Australian Airlines flying is in NO way a big win. Yes, if it retains seniority benefits it is important but it has done nothing to improve the lot of the current and future mainline pilot.

IMHO, unless AIPA start taking a very firm line, the future will lokk like this.
*Domestic 'A' scales withdrawn.
*Downward pressure on ALL real mainline salaries (ie: less than CPI increases). Especially harmful for YSSY crews.
*Newly branded operations which slowly take over from mailine ops. For example, the old Impulse services rapidly expand at the expense of QF Domestic ops.
*"Australian Airlines will not fly on any route QF flies on!!" QF only have to stop that route on Monday and AO can step in on Tuesday. Why restrict AO to 767's. Why not transfer the remaining Classics to AO and use them for the Japan services, paying Captains A$195,000 flat with no allowances, big savings there.

What I am saying is that AIPA and all QF pilots owe it to themselves and future Aussie pilots to take the initiative NOW and claw back losses which have been previously given up by AIPA reps only using the union as a stepping-stone to management, This has left the pilot body in poor shape and even in the current 'boom' conditions for Qantas it appears morale is nowhere near what it should be.

Why, because QF pilots are not reaping their fair share of the proceeds of the boom. The execs however ARE. You little lambs are being left out in the dry whilst the execs squeel with delight as they roll around in the trough of money forever telling you you're lucky just to have a job.

I am aware the above may offend some who either don't wish to confront reality, have stars in their eyes for the corporate messiahs or simply don't like to rock the boat. However you guys have a golden opportunity to sieze the day and at least partially restore the status of the professional pilot in this country.

I am far too old for it to benefit me personally, but I do hope it benefit you, your families and future pilots.

Should I hold my breath?