PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 8th Dec 2010, 14:18
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil
I have a question concerning the IPT rotor and its fastening to the IP shaft. If I see it correctly, the rotor is joined to the shaft by a series of bolts joining the drive arm of the disc to a corresponding flange on the end of the IP shaft. A dual set of roller bearings is positioned between the IP shaft and the bore of the disc. Is this correct? If so, referring to the ATSB AO-2010-089 preliminary report, look at Figure 15 on page 21. A partially remaining section of the drive arm (1/2 bolt hole) would suggest the drive arm is bent 180 degrees opposite from where it should be. Assuming this rupture and bending took place during the failure event and not after (exiting the engine or crashing to earth), how could this be? I can't see it happening if the disc moved rearward easily and it is hard envision if the disc moved forward, except for the first 90 degrees of the bending. I know there are quite a few other components in that area that might account for the final 90 degrees of bending. Your thoughts?

Turbine D