PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aircraft landing at the wrong airfield
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2010, 13:34
Dave Howes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pan-Am 707 at RAF Northolt

In October 1960 I was an RAF Ground Radar Technician at RAF Northolt. I worked on the GCA section, generally known as the airfield gypsies. The equipment was a Bendix Mobile Precision Navigation 1A (MPN1A) that consisted of an operations “caravan” that contained the 30 mile range search radar and the final approach precision “talk down” radar. When the operational runway was changed to suit the wind direction, the equipment was towed to the other end of the runway. Northolt runways at that time were 08 & 26.
On the day of the error by the Pan-Am pilot I was setting up the precision approach display when I saw a very large return, 2 or 3 miles out, on the final approach console. The visibility at the time was good and I assumed that the aircraft had been authorised to make a visual approach which was unusual at Northolt because of our proximity to London Heathrow. I watched the landing on the screen and very shortly after heard a very loud roar of jet engines. I opened the door and saw the blue nose of a Pan-Am 707, under very heavy breaking, go past our set-up that was only 250 yards from the end of the runway. The aircraft stopped just short of the overshoot area!
Next to the equipment was a rest caravan that was used mostly to play bridge between landings. Landings were considered most inconvenient! From the caravan emerged our delighted talk down controller who immediately entered the equipment and spoke on our intercom box that was connected to London Heathrow control tower. “We have got one of yours here,” he said. The reply is not suitable for publication!
The 707 was piloted by a Captain Waldron Beale (or very similar) and as far I recall he was immediately relieved of his command.
Within an hour, our rest caravan was the centre of an impromptu enquiry. Attending were, the Wing Commander (Flying), the Senior Air Traffic Control Officer (SATCO), the local Air Traffic Control Officer from the tower and our crew. Very quickly it was established that the 707 pilot had turned right at the Harrow gasholder instead of the Southall gasholder. “Not our fault!” Meeting adjourned.
I think it was next day that we watched the 707 depart for Heathrow with another crew. The only damage was to the sodium runway lights some of which were blown away by the overhanging engines of the aircraft at take-off.
With regard to closing the Western Avenue (A40) for the departure, I seem to remember that Northolt Air Traffic control had been trying to get traffic lights installed on the road in the same way as they were on the Ruislip Road at the other end of the runway.