PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 flight controls
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2010, 09:41
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to know few things about this great jet. First when the jet banks does the pilot apply rudder like you would do to a cessna to keep the turn indicator`s ball in the center.
Yes, and no.

Yes, the rudder works conventionally, just the same as most airplanes, but no, it's not really needed that much.

I fly the Classic (747-100, -200), and while the rudder does have a turn coordination feature, it's not active all the time; just when flaps are down. When it's not active, the airplane is really a two-axis autopilot (pitch and roll). It's designed such that for most of the flight, the airplane flies straight and doesn't need much rudder input at all. One of the features of the rudder system is ratio changing, which changes the amount the rudder is actually capable of deflecting, depending on airspeed. At slow speeds, it deflects as much as 25 degrees, but at speeds above 170 knots, it only deflects 4 degrees, even though the pilot may apply full rudder.

It's a really big rudder, and too much rudder input is stressful on the airframe, unnecessary, and causes significant roll as well as yaw.

The autopilot has no input to the rudder. The 747 actually has two rudders; an upper, and a lower. The upper is the "captain's rudder," and the lower is the "FO's rudder." In practice, there's no difference, really. Each is controlled by a separate yaw damper, which is automatic and requires no pilot input. The yaw damper only has four degrees of authority. It's the yaw damper that actually supplies the turn information to the cockpit indicators (rate of turn): upper to the captain, lower to the copilot. The pilot has no control over the yaw damper, except a switch to turn it on or off. The yaw damper provides turn coordination when the airplane is slow (when flaps are extended), but the pilot has no indication of what's going on; the rudder pedals don't move, and there's no cockpit feedback.

When the airplane is moving faster, the natural streamlining tendencies of the airplane, plus that massive horizontal stabilizer, keep the airplane "coordinated," and most pilots don't touch the rudder at all.

Second although it is not for flight control but when landing when would you disengage the autopilot? I know that on takeoff after you pass 200 feet you can engage it.
We are not allowed to engage the autopilot until after flap retraction. For a normal departure (in our operation), flaps are generally retracted at 3,000' above the departure field. We definitely don't engage it at 200'.

I generally hand fly during the departure until above 18,000', and usually until about 29,000' before engaging the autopilot (let's face it, with this type of flying, one doesn't actually get to hand-fly that much, so I do it as much as I can). When to engage it depends on the operator policy, local workload, and personal preference. I prefer to hand-fly when I can, but it's also important to stay proficient with both hand flying and working through the automation.

When landing, our policy has the autopilot off by 50' below the minimum descent altitude, or during a "precision" approach, by 150' to 100' at the latest. We don't do autolandings. Most of us at my operation seem to disengage the autopilot by about 500 to 1,000'. Last night I disengaged it at 2,000 and hand-flew the approach, strictly by preference. Remember, it's a tool to help reduce workload (or specifically, to enable a pilot to devote more attention to more tasks). Hand-flying the 747 is a pleasure; it's a nice flying airplane.